ENGLISH presentation – writer Octavian SOVIANY
Date of Birth: 23rd of April 1954
Place of Birth: Brasov, Romania
City of residence: Bucharest, Romania
Main occupation: Writer
- Teacher of Romanian Language and Literature at the National High school “Mihai Eminescu”, sector 4, Bucharest
- Reviewer of contemporary literature at different Romanian weekly literary magazines: Ziua literara, Cuvantul, Paradigma, Viata romanasca, Luceafarul, Observatorul cultural, Tribuna, Poesis International
- Journalist – writing book reviews and interviews with cultural personalities at the “Universul Cartii” revue, edited by the Ministry of Culture in Romania
- Teacher of Romanian Language and Literature at the Nr 127 Gymnasium, Bucharest
Post Graduate: 2002-2008 – PhD in Philological Sciences at the University of Bucharest, Faculty of Letters, coordinated by Prof Dr Florin Mihailescu with the paper: Textualismul romanesc (Romanian Textualism)
University Graduate: 1975-1979 – Bachelor of Arts at Babes-Bolyai University in Cluj Napoca, Faculty of Letters, Romanian – Spanish Major
Since 1995 Member of the Romanian Writers Union.
French: Very fluent
2011 – The novel Viaţa lui Kostas Venetis (The Life of Kostas Venetis), Cartea Romaneasca Publishing House
The book was presented at the International Book Fair in Prague, 2011, where I had a public reading in Romanian and Czech.
- Ucenicia bătrânului alchimist (Dacia Publishing House, Cluj Napoca,1983)
- Cântecele desavarsirii interioare (Albatros Publishing House, Bucuresti, 1994)
- Turnul lui Casanova (Pontica Publiching House, Constanta, 1996)
- Provincia pedagogica (Cartea româneasca Publishing House, Bucharest,1996)
- Textele de la Montsalvat (Axa Publiching House, Botosani1997)
- Cartea lui Benedict (Vinea Publishing House, Bucharest, 2002) (Anthology of poetry)
- Alte poeme de moda veche (Pontica Publishing House, Constanta, 2004)
- Scrisori din Arcadia (Paralela 45 Publisching House, Pitesti, 2005) – nominated for the Prize Best Poetry Book of the Year, by the Romanian Writers Union
- Dilecta (Cartea Românească Publishing House,Bucharest, 2006) – nominated for the Prize Best Poetry Book of the Year, by the Romanian Writers Union and by the revue Cuvantul at the National Literary Awards
- Textele de la Monte Negro (Pontica, Constanta, 2003)
- Strălucirea si suferinţele filosofilor (Ghepardul, 1992) ( in 1993 – chosen for a Reading show at Theatrum mundi directed by Victor Ioan Frunză.)
- Cinci poeme dramatice (Palimpsest, Bucharest, 2005)
- Lectia de anatomie a profesorului Orpheus, (unpublished) in 2008 – chosen for a Reading Show at the Dramaturgs Club of the Romanian Writers Union, directed by Dan Tudor)
- Textualism, postmodernism, apocaliptic, 2 volumes, (Pontica Publishing House, Constanta, 2001)
- Experiment si angajare ontologica (Gramar Publishing House, Bucharest, 2002).
- Apocaliptica textului (Palimpsest Publishing House, Bucharest, 2008) (PhD Thesis)
Included in Anthologies:
- Deliruri şi delire – o antologie a poeziei onirice ( coordinated by Ruxandra Cesereanu, Paralela 45 Publishing House, Pitesti, 1999)
- Poezia română actuală (coordinated by Marin Mincu, Pontica Publishing House, Constanta, 2000)
- 27 Poezie de Bucureşti, (multimedia album, coordinated by Dan Mircea Cipariu, Brumar Publishing House, 2007, under the Patronage of Romanian Broadcasting Company)
- Scriitori pe calea regala, (multimedia album, coordinated by Dan Mircea Cipariu, Brumar Publishing House, 2008, under the Patronage of The Royal Family of Romania)
- Maraton de poezie si jazz, (coordinated by Dan Mircea Cipariu, Tracus Arte Publishing House, Bucharest, 2009, 2010, 2011)
Teatru, edited by the Writers Association of Bucharest with the play Insula fericiţilor (Semne Publishing House, Bucharest, 2000)
OTHER PUBLICATIONS & TRANSLATIONS
- Literary essays, critics, reviews and poetry published in the most important cultural magatines and newspapers in Romania.
- Poems translated in the Hungarian literary revue A het (2002, Cluj Napoca)
- An essay about the Oniric literary movement in Romania published in the French revue Seine et Danube (Paris, 2004)
- Poems translated in Polish in the literary revue Lampa (2008,Warshaw)
- Poems translated in Italian in the literary magazine Poesis international (2010)
- A review of the book Nuntile necesare by the French author Dumitru Tsepeneag – to pe published in 2010 in Review of Contemporary Fiction (United States of America)
- Selected poems translated in English, French, German, Spanish, Slovenian.
- Translated poems from French to Romanian (Charles D’Orleans, Francois Villon, Ronsard, Theofile Gautier, Charles Baudelaire, Guillaiume Appollinaire).
1993 – One Year scholarship offered by the Soros Foundation in Romania for play writing
1994 – the Prize for Poetry offered by the Writers Association of Bucharest for the book Cântecele desăvârşirii interioare.
2001 – the Prize for Poetry offered by the Writers Association of Bucharest for the book Textualism, postmodernism, apocaliptic.
– the Prize of the Tomis magazine for literary critics – the book Textualism, postmodernism, apocaliptic (Constanta)
– the prize of Poesis magazine for literarry critics – the book Textualism, postmodernism, apocaliptic (Satu Mare)
2004 – the National Chevalier Title for Cultural Merits offered by the Presidency of Romania
2007 – the popularity prize offered by the Observator Cultural revue for the poetry book Dilecta
– the National Prize for Poetry George Bacovia offered by the Ateneu revue (Bacău) for the book Dilecta
– the National Prize for Poetry at the Festival Aurel Dragoş Munteanu ( Cluj)
– the National Prize for literary essays offered by the Luceafarul Cultural Foundation
2008 – The Prize Radu Enescu for literary essays awarded by the Familia magazine (Oradea)
2009 – The Best literary critics book of the year 2008 offered by the Writers Association of Bucharest, for Apocaliptica textului
- Organizer of the Poetry Festival for Teenagers Gellu Naum at the Mihai Eminescu High school (6 editions)
- Organizer of the International Poetry Festival Printemps de Poets in Romania (3 editions)
- Moderator of literary debates in Club A and Club Twice in Bucharest
- Member of the Euridice Reading Cercle, founded by the writer Marin Mincu (Romanian Writers Union, Romanian Literature Museum, City Library of Bucharest (2003-2010)
- Participated in numerous national public readings
- Participated in international public readings organized by the Romanian Cultural Institute (Bruxelles, Berlin – 2010).
- Participated with a public reading at the International Poetry Fair Vilenica, Slovenia, 2010.